Our Children...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 20

We are here!

We made it just fine and have really had a great time so far settling in.
Wednesday afternoon, we left Beaumont with all of my family there to see us off - sister Lauren and Joshua with their 2 kids, sister Krista with her 5 kids, my parents, all 3 grandparents, my Aunt Libby and her son Sam from in town, and then even my Aunt Pam from Columbus, GA and my Aunt Danna and her family of 4 from Bertram, TX. They woke up Wednesday and decided to come to Beaumont, a five hour drive one-way, to see us off and the rest of the family since so many were in town! That was a sweet send-off!
My parents took us to Houston. We had dinner at Pappasito's, THE BEST Mexican restaurant ever, and then they dropped us off at the Ramada. NEVER STAY AT THE RAMADA BY BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL AIRPORT! Absolutely awful - 2 roaches in the room, really run-down, and our plans to swim Thursday morning were dashed when we went out and found the pool green. So we got a full refund, went to the mall, walked around and had lunch - our last meal in the states - at Chick-Fil-A. Adelaide was happy! Back to hotel for an hour nap (really only Schaeffer) and then off to the airport. It was great flying through Houston - it only took 30 minutes for us to leave the hotel on the shuttle, arrive at the airport and go through security.
The flight wasn't too bad. We took off around 4:30 pm and arrived at Heathrow around 7:30 am (but with the six hour time change, it was 1:30 am for us). Adelaide fell asleep soon after taking off, which surprised us. We enjoyed the sticker books, coloring books, reading books, crayons, magnetic dolls, etc. that were given as gifts to the children for the trip - thank you all! Adelaide liked the bathroom!!! The kids slept more later on, maybe for 4-5 hours; David slept a few hours but I was really only able to rest. (I suppose that all-nighter I pulled when packing up our house helped to prepare me for this!)
Made it through customs (with a very silly little boy who had way too much energy to be in line for forever!), exchanged money (don't bring coins; they don't exchange and you'll just be stuck with lots of U.S. change you can't use!), collected bags (they all made it!) and went to the bus station. There was one scheduled to leave at 8:45 and as it was 8:40, we quickly bought tickets and went outside. It was late; so thankfully I had time to run back inside for waters and food. The kids and I slept on the 3 hour trip to Cambridge; I don't think David did.
Martin Lown (administrator for Christian Heritage) and Ian and Elaine Cooper (I believe a tutor for CH) were there to greet us with warm hugs and helping hands, as well as a car to carry us & bags to our new house. Which by the way, the address is:
54 Norwich St.
Cambridge, UK
CB2 1NE
It was pretty much as we expected from the pictures (which, by the way, if you did not receive the email we sent out with the pictures and would like it, please email us and we can do so). I think it will work really well. It has an open floor plan, so the living/dining/kitchen are all easily accessible rather than being off of a hallway. 2 bedrooms and bath are on second floor (or 1st floor here) and there's even a loft upstairs on the 3rd floor - barely able to stand straight up, but will work for a little area for kids to play, us to stay when guests are here and staying in our bedrooms, and for storing off-season clothing, etc.
Rob and Estelle Cubitt, who helped us find the house, were so kind and thoughtful to let us borrow and put in 2 living room chairs, a table and 4 chairs in the dining room, toys for the kids, linens on the beds, towels in the bath, as well as some kitchen essentials (cutlery, dishes, glasses, a pot) and groceries and household goods. Elaine Cooper also had provided a basket full of lovely foods, soup in the fridge, fresh flowers and cake, etc. It really helped to come in to such a cheery situation - it would have been a little bleak otherwise.
Ian and Martin helped to bring in our bags and sort out the water heater, etc. They quickly realized we didn't have a kettle, and said that was an absolute must. Ian left and Martin stayed for a bit talking about plans, etc. By the time Martin was ready to leave, Elaine arrived with a brand-new stainless steel kettle from John Lewis Department Store! It cracked me up that within 30 minutes of arriving in our new house, they provide us with a kettle! It has been very handy to make tea and instant coffee. And as it seems that I'll go with a coffee press rather than a coffee maker, then the kettle will also be very useful then.
We had a few hours to settle in - the kids were happy to play with the toys Estelle was kind enough to lend us. Adelaide said, "I love this house! I love Cambridge!" and when in her bedroom, "Look, Mommy! My bed has sea-shells!" which sure enough there were little ones on the rod-iron spindles. We're still figuring out the hot water (so I had a cold shower!) as well as the dishwasher, and need to get rubbish bins, etc. (they have 3 here - regular trash, recycling, and compost).
Then Elaine Cooper picked me up at 3:30 and we shopped for 3 hours! It was SO WONDERFUL having her help, because I really was a little concerned as to how I would go about furnishing our new home. I don't know where to go, I don't have a car for transporting big boxes, and I really don't know what's a good deal and what's too much. She was the perfect person to go shopping with - she gave her insight and opinion but let the decision rest on me, and was very understanding of my questions and sometimes me being overwhelmed. We went to three stores and got quite a bit done.
David had the kids fed and bathed when I returned home, and Martin had brought over a temporary cell phone with all the contacts that we will need for the time being. Kids to bed; we stayed up settling in more and talking about plans for setting up a bank, setting up internet, phones, contacting the City Council, getting a stroller, etc. Then to bed (which is rather uncomfortable, actually the most uncomfortable bed I think I have ever slept on - you feel each and every spring! ha!) until 2 am when the kids woke up hungry and wanting a snack. So we obliged, considering it was technically dinner time for them. Back to bed.
We didn't wake until after noon! So there went our morning plans, but we settled in more and then got ready. 4 pm to Cubitts for a BBQ with other families whose children are enrolled with Heritage School (which is where Adelaide will be going). It was really great to meet so many families and their children - I think there were five families there (or actually here, since I'm back with my computer using their internet tonight!). Adelaide quickly made friends with their two girls, Amy and Emily. I think I'll be starting a little playgroup for Heritage School moms who still have a little one at home. I think we'll buy a bed with trundle bed off of them, and they'll lend us their microwave. Everyone there was either American (one other family besides us) or South African - which we learned there are 2 kinds of whites from South African: English South Africans and African South Africans who speak Afrikaanse, similar to Dutch, very fun to listen to.
Anyway, lots of good conversations, very helpful to meet people right off the bat, etc. Went home with loads of food, as well as a rubbish bin.
Tomorrow is church at Eden Baptist and then lunch at Martin and Mary Lown's. Ilona Greyling will come by after she finishes her day working at the Round Church (CH) with pizzas and to help us sort out cell phones. Monday, Adelaide has been asked to join Estelle Cubitt and her girls and mother for a day-trip to, honestly, I don't remember where, but she's very excited about it.
That's all for now - it's 10:30 so I better go back home and try to get some sleep soon. I think so far I've managed to not say 'pants' so that's success in my eyes! (that means underwear here)
-Sarah

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, loved reading the newsy update and I'm so thankful for all the kind people there helping ya'll settle in & feel welcome. Love ya'll!
Lauren

mamaillmani said...

Thanks for your update! It's great to hear that things are going well, and to see the pictures. We keep praying! Love you muchly! Sally

Mary said...

Hey Sarah! It is so good to hear from you. We miss you but are so glad to hear that you guys are settling in so well. Look forward to hearing more when you get a chance. You and your sweet family are in our prayers.

Adrienne said...

So glad you made it there uneventfully. Thanks for the update! Love you, A

Ella said...

loved the update, sarah!! so glad to hear you all are settling in well. we miss you!