Adelaide has had three weeks off of school - Easter Break - between 2nd and 3rd term. It's been nice - a little more time to sleep in, stay in pajamas, days out or with friends, etc. Here's week 1:
Palm Sunday - I missed Trinity Church today; really this whole week. I missed the music really. I missed my piano, an easy way for me to express myself, especially through hymns during this Holy Week. I compensated by listening to the Messiah all week. I dressed the kids up Southern Style (smocked dress, big bow; shortalls - we DID wear shoes however) for the church service and smiled to myself. After church, the kids and I went to the grocery store in town and then to the Market, which was fun with them. Schaeffer picked out some olives (the guy asked me if I was from Canada! pretty much couldn't be more opposite of the truth!), Addie picked out some bread, and both had ice cream cones which were big treats. I managed to get Schaeffer down for a nap and make mac n cheese for them (from scratch, as there are no handy Kraft boxes around here; this one turned out better than my first try a few months ago) before gobbling it down and racing off to church. We usually don't go to night church because it's too far to walk with the kids, and the buses don't run frequently Sunday night, and it's just a tricky time with dinner and bedtime. But since David's OOT and I can get there by bike now, we went for it. I couldn't make it up Castle Hill, and was a tad late getting into the service after locking up everything, helmets off, snaps off and on, etc. But glad we went for it. Very thankful for a doctrinally-sound church where we don't have to question what's been said or go home and de-brief. And very thankful for Addie's school. Having such a good church and school is a huge blessing and not something that most cities in England have. Afterwards, had to hurry home as it was getting dark and I didn't have lights (I think I accidently left them on my bike the first day I bought them, and they were snatched!). I'm much more confident on the main roads and intersections now, and am thankful for getting around easier and faster - although my muscles are having to catch up!
Monday (Apr. 2) morning was more spring cleaning. Then at noon, we had some relatives of a neighbor back home in Montgomery stop by. They're visiting Cambridge University, looking into a program here, so stopped by for a chat and a cup of tea before walking into town. Then the kids and I cycled down to Scotsdale's Garden Center after naps. It's a good distance, especially with two kids, ESPECIALLY with a big bag of soil to haul home as well. Whew! But this is all for my little lupin and sunflower seeds, as well as a free strawberry plant. I'm not at all a green thumb in the garden, but with such a little garden that needs a little more color, it's not as intimidating to me as a big yard. So here goes...
Tuesday to Thursday, Adelaide went to a Holiday Club (like VBS) at a local church. Five other classmates of hers went as well. She had a great time - she said yesterday it was one of the highlights of her Easter Break. So we had that every morning. I was thankful for being able to walk somewhere, after biking Sunday and Monday. While she was there: Tuesday morning Schaeffer and I came home to do some gardening. Wednesday we went to the playground (but too cold and rainy) and shops with a good friend. Thursday we went to the BeeHive (shopping area) and Tesco (grocery store). Tuesday afternoon, Elaine Cooper came over for a cup of tea and a chat which was very nice and encouraging. Wednesday afternoon on the way home from Holiday Club we came across this "Bubble walk on Water" which Adelaide really wanted to try, and surprisingly enough to me didn't get scared but really enjoyed it!
After naps, we went over to the Cubitts and ended up joining them for dinner. The kids LOVE going over there and playing with their girls and jumping on their trampoline, and I enjoy visiting very much with Estelle and Rob. Thursday night we went to the BBQ at Christ's Church to wrap up the Holiday Club.
Chaos and cold but nice to see what she's been doing all week. Schaeffer's been singing the theme song for weeks later! David got back in town and met us there - we were all very happy to see Daddy! He had a great time at the conference, although he'd never been so cold in his life.
Sunday, Easter Sunday - leg of lamb in the oven just before church, planning to jump on my bike and race into town, but ALAS I can't manage in the dress I'm wearing! If I walk, I'll be late which I hate to be late to church, esp. Easter Sunday, and hate not to be there for D with the kids. So, just bit the bullet and called a taxi, and thankfully made it perfectly in time. Pui and Natasha (girlfriend) and Jan joined us for lunch, which was an hour late getting on to the table (we need to talk to this slow cook of ours!). Thankfully, the lamb and everything else turned out and we had a very nice visit with everyone. Jan stayed most of the afternoon before heading to the evening service which was nice to visit with him one-on-one. Usually Sunday lunch is so tricky we don't have anyone over - kids are hungry and tired right after church. But it worked, so that's good to know that maybe at this stage in life it's manageable, at least more than it was a year or two ago.
"Is this lunch EVER going to be ready?!"
Natasha and Adelaide with pre-dinner entertainment...


1 comment:
Thanks for the updates, excited to visit soon!!
Lauren
Post a Comment