Our Children...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 30

I know it's been a LONG time since I've written, but you know how it goes - we've just been busy with life! We're pretty well settled into our house; while there are a few items and pieces of furniture I'm trying to look for, we can get by for now and wait for a sale. I've found 2 chest of drawers and a wardrobe, as well as 2 living room chairs and a Tripp Trapp seat, at 2nd hand stores or from school families. Lately I've been looking into bikes, and am glad to say that I haven't crashed yet after test-riding 5-6. I've also been trying to get us set with warm gear for the winter: coats, shoes, warm socks, hats, gloves, etc.

Adelaide has had a week off of school, termed 'half-term' and it's been nice to not have to rush here or there. We've had time to relax a little more - and make tents in the living room!
We went to Ely on Monday as a family; a town just 20 min. by train north of here. Beautiful cathedral which the kids did really well in, as well as a 2 playgrounds, lunch and more looking around.








We've had the interns over, but not as often as I would have liked; but have also had over staff families with CH as well as families we've met from church and school.

Meals and laundry continue to be the most challenging thing for me - most of the meals I'm used to making have 1-2 ingredients that I can't find over here. I made a cake this week which usually turns out really well, but had to throw it away it just was no good. I need to figure out the different kinds of sugar here, and try again. Really, I need to find good recipes over here, with the metric units and regular ingredients. I've cooked a beef pie - that's a start! 

With laundry, we don't get any sunlight in the garden now; but I've learned how to strategically put our drying racks in front of the front windows to get the most out of the sunlight. That helps a little, as does the water heater closet in the bathroom which helps to dry out the clothes a little faster.

Adelaide's started violin lessons at school, which is handy because I don't have to take her someplace else. She's enjoying it.
Schaeffer was of course very interested as well, making practice time especially challenging. A play guitar (as a reward for cooperating during his first haircut, picture below...)
has helped in that department. Now when he sees street musicians playing a guitar, he says, "Hey, that guy has a guitar just like me!"

I was going to enroll Adelaide in swim lessons, but decided not to just yet, as she's still adjusting to the school routine and can get pretty tired from it all. And we're still awfully busy settling in and adjusting still to life here, so I think maybe we'll put that off for the winter term (Jan-March). But I am proud to report she did a superb job at the trial swim to see which class she'd be put in - got in with arm floaties and swam from one end to the other, and was the only person in the pool.

We're working on our finances, end of the year letter, etc. so lots of detailed, logistical work; and looking into portable carseats, bikes for me and the kids, etc. I want to be sure we're using funds well, so trying to shop around for a good deal or look for 2nd hand ones; but that does take a bit of time; I hope it's worth the effort.

I'm on my 2nd sickness; I'm sure there's lots more to come, being in a new environment. We got our NHS cards and went to the Dr. this week, so that's good to get that settled and get our prescriptions. We also went to the library and checked out a bunch of fun books! So while there seems to be more and more to do, we are definitely getting there little by little, and I think having fun in the midst of it all!

Enjoying an hour at the Botanic Gardens...



Planting some winter pansies (which my friend was so sweet to pick up for us, as well as the planters!)


Afternoon tea with Adelaide

2 comments:

Mary said...

Good to hear from you guys!! Thanks for the update.

Jamie said...

So good to hear from you! Praying for you all...