Friday morning I got a call on the landline from Sue Macaulay, which was so nice because I rarely get a phone call and it was great to chat with her. Then, Schaeffer and I went to Burleigh Street to the charity shops to do a few returns, and did indeed find a planter! He fell asleep on the way to pick up Adelaide, and never actually went to sleep later on. I was SO TIRED and tried to nap as well, but hearing him singing in the room next door isn't a very peaceful way for a mother to nap. After 2 spankings, I decided we might as well just get up and get going.
We had realized at lunchtime that we didn't have Schaeffer's "Thomas" backpack that his Grandma Illman had made for him for his 2nd birthday! So sad! He had taken it with him when we set out for shopping this morning, and it must have fallen out somewhere. So we headed to the school to retrace our steps and look for it. THANKFULLY I saw it up on the top of a car - THANKFULLY someone had put it there and I happened to look that way. That would have been very sad to loose.
Then walked to Tesco, got there about an hour after we had left the house. I let the kids out to run a bit and Schaeffer fell and scraped up his knees again, poor kid. Thankfully I had suckers in the diaper bag. Tesco trip was ok, but by the end the kids were REALLY ready to get out, and I was quickly realizing that I couldn't get much more in the bags and haul home with the kids and the push-chair. We were all exhausted (shopping usually takes quite a bit of mental energy for me, especially when i go with the kids, and now even more so when I don't recognize hardly any of the products, brands, etc.). I let them out to run a bit before we had to cross the main road. They were miserable getting back in, the grocery bags were falling off of the stroller, it was getting dark and late, etc. etc. I made it another 100 ft. and just decided to give in and call a taxi.
They were excited to ride in a car. I was sad and frustrated, with the realization that I am really limited in my shopping abilities here. The big stores are pretty far (45-60 min. walk) and it's hard on the kids to be in the stroller that long, plus shop, plus the ride home. It's really just unrealistic. Plus all that effort and I can only haul a few bags home. So I really need to get a bike or look into the bus schedule (but the website is horrible, so I need to get a friend to help with that).
Taxi driver was really rude too; begrudgingly helped me get bags and stroller and kids out by our house. So I had my breakdown, and cried getting things into the house; it's just so much effort to go about normal things in life, namely getting groceries bought and clothes dried. I couldn't get any of our DVD's to play in the computer for the kids. But David got home and just turned on Horton again for them, so they were happy. I went to bed early, knowing that my exhaustion doesn't help my perspective on life right now.
Saturday, David didn't have to work - yah! So we all 4 had breakfast; David worked in the garden and did a great job cleaning it up while I did things inside. Laundry out to dry in the sun, and on to Parker's Piece for the food and garden festival. Started raining - no! (my laundry out on the line!) Stayed in tents of food and merchandise during the rain, then out to see farm animals, hold bunnies, cupcakes and kiddie rides. Had a great time.
I had to go to Sainsbury's for a few things that I couldn't find at Tesco. Home at 2:15 and didn't leave the kitchen; made pico de gillo, fajitas, beans, rice, corn, and almond toffee blondies for dessert. Interns came around 6, which was great to have them over. We had a very nice evening all together. Jon brought berries and tomatoes; Angeline brought ranch dressing (she read our blog and her mom made up a batch for us, and sent more herbs and recipe!) and flowers. It worked to have 6 adults at the table, and the kids at their table. We used every single dish in the cupboards! I was happy with the serving pieces I've collected so far.
Sunday, to Christ Church (Anglican). Leftovers for lunch, leftovers for dinner, which is good to eat down the fridge because I have a Tesco order coming on Tuesday. Kids and I got a long nap in, which was really good for me to get some rest. David had a meeting at 3 with the interns and other Christian students who are involved in the international student group. Unpacked a box of books this afternoon. I'm hoping to tackle at least 1 box a day.
After our bean burrito dinner, I was cleaning up, and David and the kids were outside playing. Schaeffer is very protective of Adelaide and I when David pretends to be the 'bad guy.' So sweet!
While out there, Adelaide's tooth popped out! She was lots more brave and calm than I thought she'd be. But we couldn't find the tooth. It was getting dark and we brought out flashlights, but still couldn't find it. I re-assured her the toothfairy still comes, and we'll just pretend that the 2nd tooth she looses is her 1st. Devotions, and then watched 20 min. cartoon of "The Gruffalo" on You Tube. It's a popular children's book over here, really cute.
Then David and I watched a movie, "500 Days of Summer" - our 1st movie to watch here so nice to just relax together. I sewed in more of her name tags into her school clothing, now that I have my 'sewing bag' from back home with more white thread. And I had to hunt down the tooth fairy pillow in our boxes which I thankfully found in no time. They have a store called "Poundland" where everything is a pound, like Dollar Tree. So maybe we can make it there sometime soon and she can pick something out with her tooth money.


No comments:
Post a Comment