Our Children...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 8

First day of School!

Adelaide started school on Wednesday, September 7th. Not nervous at all; rather so so excited. She said on the way, "Mommy, I've been asking about school every day!" which is really true. She started asking about when she starts school the day we arrived in England, and has been counting down the days since. It's just a 5 minute walk from where we live; very convenient since we don't have cycles yet.
We went to her school, Heritage School, last week to get a tour and meet her teacher, Mrs. Breakspear. It's a Charlotte Mason-based school; somewhat like classical schools but different. They go on nature walks, read lots of books, learn about artists and musicians, etc. (I'm still learning myself, but it seems to be more about intrinsic learning.) It's in an old Victorian home, so narrow passages and stairs here and there. There's about 90 students, which 30 of them are new this year. There's 16 in Adelaide's class, which is called Lower Preparatory Class, although normally in England this class is called "Reception Class." It's a very nice school community; about 70% are from Christian homes, the other families know that it is a Christian school.
For the first day, she drew a picture for her teacher of the 2 of them looking at flowers, which she was specific to qualify as roses. She even went back to the table to add bows in their hair. Then she wanted to write a note, which said, "Dear Mrs. Breakspear, I love you so much. Thank you for being my teacher. Love, Addie". Cracks me up! And reminds me of all the sweet little notes I received as a teacher.
They have a summer uniform, which is the red check dress. Then they also have a winter uniform, which is a grey 'tunic' or what we'd call a jumper (but jumpers here are sweaters). They have a tie as well - red and grey. Adelaide's most favorite part of her get-up are her shoes that I indulged and bought - they light up, but have an on/off button so she must turn them off during class-time. Also, they have a P.E. uniform and have to have plimsolls for that (like black keds). Wellies (rain boots) have to stay at school, as do rain jackets and trousers. I'm slowly learning the ropes. Still need to read the handbook!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I LOVE IT SARAH!!!!! I am living vicariously through you :)

The Andersons said...

How stinkin' cute is she! Love the uniform. We need to do face time on the iPad.

Nikki said...

Love that Ty Ty got to join her for her first day of school!!!