Happy New Year!
So obviously as you see below, December 10th we had Adelaide's birthday party. I think she and all the kids had a great time! I was completely exhausted after it! We had about 20 kids. Some parents stayed, but most dropped off. She received so many great presents - lots of fun crafts to do!
Then the next week we were full force getting ready for Christmas - lots of batches of Christmas Popcorn and Christmas cards to friends, buying a few last presents for the kids, finding gifts to take back to family in the states, and then of course the regular life of groceries/meals and laundry.
Sunday (11th) we went to Eden Baptist and then went to lunch at the Gobbitt's house. I believe he's the Assistant pastor there, and David and Dave Gobbitt have gotten to know each other pretty well. That was nice to meet them and some other families there as well. He gave us a lift home too, which was nice since they're on the opposite side of town from us. Then I went to our neighbor's mulled wine party which was really nice. I didn't know anyone, and barely know them, but thought I'd take them up on the invitation! THEN the Greylings (staff at CH) picked us up and took us out to a nearby village for dinner at their favorite pub, and brought Christmas gifts for the kids! So thoughtful and generous! A full but very fun day, and nice not to have to cook, especially after Adelaide's party the day before!
Monday (12th) we had Assembly in the morning. Then I scribed for the oral exams at school while David and Schaeffer got some time together. That afternoon, I went to visit a Nursery School (like pre-school) for Schaeffer for next year. It's a little farther away than I'd like, but wouldn't be as big of a situation once I have a bike to speed up transportation. I liked it, good enough. I'll visit a few more. Then I stopped by a cafe to see a friend's artwork on display which was really nice to be able to do (while David was home with napping kids on his day off). And I was able to sit down and drink a latte and finish my book 'The Help' - there I was crying in the cafe over the last few pages! A little Christmas shopping at Ark (one of the best little boutique-ish shops in Cambridge) on the way home.
Tuesday (13th), Schaeffer and I caught the bus (eventually, after barely missing the first and then I think missing a second one - but we're learning!) to another mom's house to practice music for the school's Christmas lunch this coming Friday. On the way back, we stopped by Waitrose (grocery store) which is really nice! Angeline came over that afternoon to hang out and help which was great, especially because Tuesdays are busy from 3:20 to 5:30! It's really nice having her around; joined us for beans and rice dinner.
Wednesday (14th) Schaeffer and I walked out to the BeeHive to do some returns and purchases. Sadly, I think we lost Monkey on the way out there. I thankfully was able to manage to buy him Bob the Builder toys at Tesco without him noticing! We caught the bus back in time this time - thankfully didn't have to run all the way to school for collection! I think I'm still sore from that! Adelaide worked very diligently on her birthday thank you notes in-between opening a few more birthday gifts and wrapping up Schaeffer's Christmas gifts. Then we three caught the bus into town to make it to the Round Church before 5 to hand out our Christmas cards and popcorn. David walked back with us and manned the kids while I started dinner. Angeline, then Jan, then Pui came and we ate at 7:30 just after getting the kids to bed. 1st time at Vegetable Lasagna, and I think it turned out decent enough.
Thursday (15th), Schaeffer and I tackled quite a few errands in town, plus a haircut for me! Very excited - I was way overdue. He got a 30 minute nap in the stroller and did not go back to bed once we got home. Oh well, such is life. That evening we had the school's Christmas Program at 6 pm which was really lovely. Schaeffer did pretty well for not having had a full afternoon rest! Adelaide made a beautiful Mary - no stage-fright at all! We had the kids open their presents afterwards, which they seemed very pleased with.

Friday (16) was the school's Christmas lunch which was beautiful. I really enjoyed playing Christmas music with two violins and then quite a few singers - all moms. Other moms prepared, decorated and served. Oh, that morning, we woke up to snow!!! Exciting! Schaeffer and I walked out to the Beehive and Tesco to look for monkey and ask for him in the shops - no success; only cemented in his mind the fact that we don't have his monkey. (I bought a replacement at Target back in the states though, so we're good now.) That afternoon/evening a few more errands and then packing for our trip to Texas!
Saturday (17th) up early, 8:30 taxi, 9 am coach (bus) to Heathrow by 12:30 pm. Flight left that afternoon. Long day but all went well.
We had a good time in Texas. I won't go through each day but it was a full but fun trip. The kids loved being able to see their cousins! My parents moved the day we flew in and my grandmother moved 2 days after Christmas, so we tried to help them settle in some.
We celebrated Adelaide's 5th birthday, along with other December birthdays of Connor and Papa.
David had 2 days in New Orleans with his brother, and then we had 4 days in West Texas with 40 members of my family just before New Years. There's always something to do - walks on their ranch, quail shooting, movies, cooking (gumbo!), games, kids to play with, visiting, etc.
I brought back Christmas crackers for all of them, and that was fun to share a little British tradition!
We did fight lice, colds and the stomach bug, which is not fun anywhere, but helpful to be with family (and pass it on to them as well! sorry!). We flew back on Monday, January 2nd and arrived to Cambridge 18 hours later on Tuesday, Jan. 3rd.



1 comment:
So fun to see snippets of your life! Missing you and the kids! Tell them Andrew said hello and was excited to see Adelaide as Mary...he wants her to know he was a shepherd...
Post a Comment