It's been another full but fun month!
We were in Texas December 17 - January 3 which was nice to have lots of time with family, and warmer weather and more sunshine. We battled the stomach bug and lice, but survived. We celebrated Adelaid'es 5th birthday with other December relative's birthdays...
celebrated Christmas...
And went to Aunt and Uncle's ranch in west Texas with 40 other relatives.
We had a week back to get adjusted to the time change (nights 2, 3, and 4 are the worst - kids waking up at midnight asking for a snack, etc.). It was nice thinking that this time when we arrive, we're coming back to a house set-up, rather than how we started out in August. It was interesting realizing the differences that exist between the UK and US - small cars over here because roads are small; people walk or cycle because towns and cities are more compact and everyone lives in a more concentrated area.
Elaine Cooper had soup and other groceries ready and waiting for us when we got back on Tuesday! David started back to work Wednesday, January 4th; the kids and I stayed inside Wednesday and Thursday - plenty to do with unpacking, laundry, sleeping. I had two friends call me to see how our trip was and see about getting together - that was really nice to feel that people were happy we were back. We met up with one friend and son on Friday for coffee and the park - great talk and good incentive for getting out! We had the other (and family) over Saturday January 7th which was a lot of fun, and the 4 kids played so well together. Adelaide went back to school January 9th. That week I also washed all of our bedding and pillows, which takes quite a bit of effort here in comparison to what I've been used to. And some baking/freezing.
Had some shopping to do: new microwave, and SO EXCITED to find TWO silk GOLD throw pillows (cushions) on CLEARANCE at TK Maxx!!!! I have been looking and looking, and can't justify spending 20-30 pounds for that. Bought some shelves for the kitchen cabinets to help with space, which is really nice to have now.
Also found another duvet and pillows for our first visitors - David's parents, who were here Jan. 10-26. We had a great time with them, and was nice to show them around and share life with them.
They adjusted very quickly to the time change. We went on a walking tour with Ian Cooper (which I've been wanting to do, so that was a treat for me as well!), went to London for the day (river boat to Greenwich for lunch),
church twice, Great Yarmouth (2 hrs. away on train) to the coast to Sea Life Aquarium,
Botanic Gardens, etc.
They kept the kids so David and I got a night away in Bury St. Edmunds, and then they had two nights in London. They kept Schaeffer so I could go to bike shops, and were very helpful in listening to me hash through the options. And helped talk over topics with David for his debate, helped us with ideas with our support record-keeping, treated us to dinners out, fixed kids' bike, put together my new laundry hampers, did sewing repairs, etc. It was really nice having them! And now we are very well set up for company, so come on over!
BTW, happy Chinese New Year - we had the interns over for dinner that night, so made chicken and tofu stir-fry. They had a great time meeting Bob and Sally.
Thursday night we had a new babysitter which the kids enjoyed, so I could go to the debate that David was a part of. It was really nice to be out and engage my brain in a way I usually don't; and interesting to hear a Buddhist and Hindu's perspective on forgiveness. I think David did really well; kept it slow and conversational, and made his points clearly.
Friday I had a friend over for coffee, and that was very nice to have a good heart-to-heart chat. I am very thankful for her. Then that afternoon, a friend came over to play with Adelaide and her lovely mother stayed to have tea. So a full day of relationships!
Saturday, the interns came over early for a bacon/egg/toast breakfast before leaving with David for London to the British Museum for a lecture on Old Testament artifacts. They loved it - came back that evening telling me all the amazing things they were able to see and even hold, like a piece of the wall of Jericho, etc. The kids and I went into town with another mom and kids to the Zoology Museum - lots of skeletons and stuffed animals.
Then a shop at Sainsbury's, which is never an easy feat with two kids and a push chair. But at least I now know where to find most of the things I'm looking for!
I found a bike on gumtree, one that I've been looking at ordering new (Giant Expression LX). But this one is 5 years old and a lot cheaper!!! It was in London, and I heard back that day from the seller that the bike was a MEDIUM - my size!!!! So a couple dozen texts later, and they all went to get the bike for me and bring it back on the train! I rode it today, and it's nice to be out on a bike, and cuts down the time it takes to get around. I like walking so think I'll still do that if I have time, esp. into town. But this will be nice to help us get to other grocery stores or shops, friends' homes, and other events. I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it tuned-up and new brakes on it - as well as a helmet and lock, reflective gear, and hopefully WARM GLOVES! My fingers just about froze off today on a 30 minute ride in weather that felt like 29 degrees F (-2 C).
Sunday (Jan. 29) we had the Townsends over for lunch. Chris Townsend is a lawyer (barister) and is chairman of the board of Christian Heritage. He mentioned a while ago that one day he'd like to try shrimp and grits - so I brought some back with me when I went to NC in November. Shrimp and grits casserole (no Monterey Jack or green chilies here, but improvised), asparagus and baguette, and Gewey Butter Cake to finish off the lunch. We had a great time visiting with them; and very thankful for our table which fit all 8 of us very comfortably.
Monday (Jan. 30) we had Assembly, and then a friend took us out to her house in a nearby village to play - her youngest is Schaeffer's age. I thought our house was old, being built around 1860's or 1870's - theirs was 1818, and used to be two cottages (one room down, one room up) that were later joined together and added on to - complete with beam ceilings. I feel badly for people that try to befriend me, because I am aware that I am an American and ask lots of American questions (like about her house, or thatched roof homes on the drive, or what kind of tree is that, etc.). Hopefully that will diminish as time goes on and I become more used to my surroundings.
This afternoon I was spending time with Adelaide while Schaeffer was taking his nap. I found her upstairs in the loft looking wistfully out the window. She said she missed our house and wanted to go back to Alabama. She missed her friends and family. It all made me want to cry but I tried not to, for her sake. She had had a hard time on the playground today, with some older boys cornering her and she obviously not liking it. So I suppose that maybe frustrating, uncomfortable times like that make her wish for normalcy - and I can very much relate to that. When things aren't working out or are extra tough here, I can think that it wouldn't be this way back home where I had a car, didn't have to be out in 30 degree weather, had a drier and a bigger washer machine and dishwasher, could fill a fridge with a week's worth of groceries, find the ingredients I need for the recipes I have been making for years, had a great amount of friends to be with and share life with, knew how to get places, etc. (But it would be of course challenging in other ways - life just is; it's mostly perspective and attitude, right?). Anyway, we had a good talk and I tried to just listen and affirm her. Then we talked about how when she sees someone else that's new to a situation or place or city, she'll know now what it's like for them and be able to try to make them feel welcome and comfortable. And we also talked about how there are many other people at her school who aren't English - she's not the only one, although I understand how sometimes she might feel that way.
Now I'm going to work on a Tesco order - try to think ahead with meals and recipes. And a Tesco direct order (home stuff) since I have a 10 pound off voucher. And one more day to get year-end giving letters in the post!
For the next few weeks it will be pretty busy for David, with lots of events, etc. Half-term is in two weeks, so I'm hoping to do some fun things with the kids here in Cambridge and maybe a day-trip or two. Thankful that we don't have lice anymore, that we haven't gotten sick lately (other than runny noses), that I OWN A BIKE now, for our radiators, for friends, for tea after being outside.


2 comments:
Glad to hear that you are guys are settling back into life. Thanks for the update.
Love and miss you all.
You are such an encouragement to all of us.
xoxo
Post a Comment