Our Children...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, February 27

February

February has seemed so long! But it's been a good catch-up month - a chance to level out on all of the buying I've been doing for the house, etc. and catch up on finances, etc.
The month started out pretty cold - icicles on our back patio that the kids enjoyed knocking off and eating.
By the weekend, we had snow! It started Saturday night and we ended up with a good six inches by Sunday morning.
David wasn't feeling so well after paint balling in sub-freezing temperatures the day before for a friend's birthday. So the kids and I made it to church, an extra challenge with the snow but it was fun. Adelaide stomped through as much snow as she could find, and managed a few snow ball attacks towards me. After church we went to find snow gloves for the kids and sledges so they can have fun in it. Got home with an hour before turning around and going out for the evening service, which is at the north end of town so we usually don't go. But this night, David was talking about what he's doing with CH so we wanted to go and support him. Again though, extra effort in the snow. (Adelaide had to use the restroom on the way - I just had her go on the sidewalk as that was the best option at the moment! Desperate times call for desperate measures!)
By Tuesday, the snow had slightly melted and turned to ice with the sub-freezing temps. I bought a child's trailer from a mom at school and pulled Schaeffer home in it:
Here's a picture of the kids going home from school on their new means of transportation - scooter and balance bike.
The kids and I bundled up as best we could and headed out for Adventurers that evening - bad story with the buses...see below. Adelaide ended up getting sick the next day, and had a high temp from Wednesday to Saturday. Saturday night we had the interns/apprentices over for Angeline's birthday (Mexican request, with margaritas).
That evening the fever started for me, and I had it through Tuesday but really took another week to get completely over it. David had it a little Wednesday and Thursday, but not as bad as Adelaide and I had it.
That week, 11-16 was the week of Half-Term - a week off of school. Sad that the day-trips I was hoping to make with the kids didn't turn out, neither did the get-togethers with friends. But we did manage to go the park,
feed the ducks, make roll-out cookies,
and go to the Botanic Gardens with friends.
The Tuesday before Ash Wednesday here in Pancake Day - so we definitely celebrated with buttermilk pancakes (our regular breakfast pancakes, what they call Scottish pancakes) in the morning, and then pancakes (or what we call crepes) for dinner stuffed with ham and mushroom cheese sauce.
On Wednesday, I got to go to the Ash Wednesday service at King's College Chapel with Angeline, which was a treat!
I've been on the hunt for a bike still; found THE ONE I want on ebay, barely used for 100 pounds less than the normal asking price (which I can't even find my size anywhere in the UK since Giant has discontinued that line). The lady emailed me this morning to say it was a medium, which made me extremely happy because that's the very size I need! But then later on, she emailed back to say she checked the bike over and it's actually a small. What a bummer. Now back to the drawing board, trying to decide if I can get by with 3 gears (hub) in town with pulling kids in a child trailer, or if I need more gears (like a 21 speed deraillier).
Thursday the interns came over to cook dinner and eat before going to an event that Angeline was speaking at. That was nice - no prep and no clean up! And got to visit with them!!!
Saturday I went to a bike shop to test-drive; then had some little friends over to play and went to Botanic Gardens with Adelaide and 4 other little girls. They had a great time running around outdoors!
Today I went out to test-drive a few bikes, which is so nice to be on a bike! Now that the N7 didn't work out in my size, I need to decide on one and get it so I can get off and going finally! I'm trying to decide if a 3 speed hub bike would work, or if I should go ahead and get a deraillier with 21 gears. I'm too frustrated now to try to find a decent 2nd hand bike so will probably just buy new. I think everyone here will be relieved when I finally get a bike so they can stop hearing about all my bike drama!!!
The interns/apprentices are coming over tonight for Jan's birthday. I'm making stew and cornbread from a mix that I brought back from NC; and blueberry dessert. I found a big stock pot yesterday at TKMaxx for 20 pounds, so that will help in making big dinners - now I don't have to split it between two smaller pots. Just need to find a home for this big pot now in my already-stuffed cupboards!
David has a debate to go to with a friend at the Atheist centre on Wednesday night. And Thursday night he has something with ARCU (Anglia Ruskin Christian Union). We're having a couple from our church over on Saturday night, and hopefully Saturday morning I can take off by myself to ride and buy a bike!
Until next month...

No comments: