I've neglected to update my blog readers on our plans for the summer! We're going to Cambridge, England for David to intern with Christian Heritage. It's an organization that's mission is “Recovering the Past...Challenging the Present...Shaping the Future.” Their website is is http://www.christianheritageuk.org.uk/ if you'd like to see more about them. They are housed in the Round Church, which was built in the 12th century!
So they have lots of tourists during the summer come to look at the church. CH has displays up in the church about Christianity's impact on Cambridge and therefore western culture.
They also give walking tours of Cambridge, and try to let the conversation be very open to additional questions about Christianity.
David will help at the church and on these walks, as well as with 3 courses that they offer in theology and apologetics. This will be great because this is exactly what he teaches at Trinity High School, so he'll be able to come back to teaching in the fall with a new perspective and fresh information to share with the students. He'll also be reading and writing a thesis this summer, and meeting one-on-one with the staff. And Addie and I will get to explore Cambridge! These are pictures of the River Cam that we'll cross every day to get into the town "centre". In a week I can post my own pictures of this same place!
So they have lots of tourists during the summer come to look at the church. CH has displays up in the church about Christianity's impact on Cambridge and therefore western culture.
They also give walking tours of Cambridge, and try to let the conversation be very open to additional questions about Christianity.
David will help at the church and on these walks, as well as with 3 courses that they offer in theology and apologetics. This will be great because this is exactly what he teaches at Trinity High School, so he'll be able to come back to teaching in the fall with a new perspective and fresh information to share with the students. He'll also be reading and writing a thesis this summer, and meeting one-on-one with the staff. And Addie and I will get to explore Cambridge! These are pictures of the River Cam that we'll cross every day to get into the town "centre". In a week I can post my own pictures of this same place!
We leave Tuesday - yes, 4 days! So lots to do, but we're just really excited for this opportunity to go and learn more about the church's work in England and the history of Christianity, especially in Cambridge. We're flying from Atlanta to Heathrow Tuesday night, so hopefully Addie will sleep. Who knows, maybe she'll come back with a little British accent!!


3 comments:
Oh my goodness Sarah, this is SO exciting!! I can't believe you're leaving in 4 days- what an amazing opportunity to share as a family. I look forward to LOTS of updates while you're gone!:) Have a wonderful time!!
Bon voyage! I hope this is the experience of a lifetime! Keep us updated; we will be praying for you guys! And swing by St. Louis on your way back...:) Love, Jen and Ryan
This is Kirsten, Krista's sister in law. I'm so jealous! I studied abroad in England (London) and loved every minute of it, especially getting to walk around so much in such beautiful cities and historic areas! I bet you and Addie will have a blast and it sounds like neat work that David is doing. Also, I think you and Krista talked about this, but Sy and Mary are friends of mine from college! Small world. :)
Post a Comment