Our Children...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 10

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Finally a pretty day after all the rain! So I planned to go to Anglesey Abbey, Gardens and Lode Mill www.nationaltrust.org.uk/angleseyabbey today after Addie’s nap. It’s Lord Fairhaven’s former estate that he turned over to the National Trust and just 15 miles or so NW of Cambridge. During Addie’s nap I made sure I knew how to get the bus to go there, when it left, when it returned, what to see there, etc. I had to wake her up so we’d get to the bus station in time and had to run at that! Not too many mums do you see running with their push chairs through town! We made it and I got on the bus, thanks to help from another gentleman and the bus driver. Addie sat there so nicely eating her PB&J sandwich and saying ‘mmm’ and putting her little arm through mine – what a sweet travel companion! The bus dropped us off at the little town of Lode (tractors going down the road) and we walked about 10 minutes to the estate. Mostly older people there, so Addie had lots of attention! I let her walk as much as I/she could. I offered to take 2 couple’s pictures and she befriended them and ended up in the picture herself! The ladies carried her...one was expecting her first grandchild soon. We visited the mill first, which was neat to see the old stones. It’s still a working mill – you can buy flour from there! The enormous gardens were very nice – lots to enjoy, like the huge fish in the pond below.And lots of airplanes to see. This is kind of the first day that Addie ‘discovered’ airplanes and she’d ask for ‘more please’ once one passed over us! Then to the house before it closed down. SO MANY PAINTINGS and tapestries covering the walls, and famous ones – like one of an English king that’s in my ‘Kings and Queens’ book! And 37 clocks – Addie enjoyed those quite a bit. She did very well in the house. Below is a view of the house from the side.We walked to the flowering garden ...and then to the rose garden...
Addie enjoyed this little slope, going up and down.
Picture above of some really old graves outside of the house, probably from when it was an Abbey.
...and geranium garden maybe? (below)Then through the fields. The gardens stay open later in the summer, so we enjoyed walking around. They’ve mowed paths in the fields to walk through – reminded me of when my mom would mow ‘mazes’ for us in our yard to let us play in for a few days before really mowing! Below is a picture of the house from the field.Also went through the little woods before heading out. Below is a picture of Addie on one of the little benches they had set up along the path.I wasn’t sure what time the bus would leave after 5:30 because I thought the place closed by 5 so that’s all i had checked on the timetable. We got to the bus station at 6:30 and thankfully the next bus was at 6:38. I was feeding Addie her little smoothie and trying to empty the stroller basket so I could fold it up on the bus. The bus arrived a little early so I fished out my day-rider ticket and gave it to the bus driver. He said ‘You know you were catching a bus, you should have been all ready’ as I went back out to the pavement to get stroller, Addie, backpack and camera on board. Then he tells me, ‘And you can’t bring that on board. You have to fold it up.’ I’ve only ridden 2 other buses, and the one in town was ok with leaving the buggy up, and the one earlier that day was ok with me folding the buggy on the bus once I had Addie sitting down and bags off. So this struck me as rather rude, impatient, and insensitive towards a mother and a baby. Now how am I really supposed to have the buggy folded up before the bus gets there when I have a baby to keep from running in the street? I told the driver, ‘I thought I could just fold the buggy up once we got on the bus.’ He said, ‘We’re not equipped for that!’ Thankfully the only other passenger on the bus came up to help me hold Addie while I got everything off the stroller, on the bus, folded the stroller and got it on the bus and situated. It really got to me how rude the driver was – I was seriously fighting tears the whole way back to Cambridge because I try very hard to be attentive to how things are done here, and everyone has been so nice to me expect for this guy. I told him that as well when we were getting off the bus, and he did apologize which I thanked him for. I don’t know why but it just really got to me! We had such a nice day together and then the bus driver just spoiled it! We walked home and Mayowa was there. Got Addie down and had some dinner.

No comments: