Wednesday, July 2
Wednesday, July 2 2008
We got up and going because we wanted to get in line to see the Queen! She was knighting two people into some society at St. Giles’ church and was supposed to arrive at 10:30 or 10:50 – different people said different things. So we got there to queue early, I think around 9:30. Addie was fussy; poor thing is just so tired. She and I walked to Starbucks to get coffee and breakfast. It was tricky keeping her entertained while waiting for the queen, especially as more and more people started squeezing in around us. It was helpful when the band and Royal Archers processed down from the Castle. She liked the music and had something new to watch. It was fun seeing all the people arrive and the ladies wearing their hats, wondering who was who. The queen finally arrived – didn’t even wave! Oh well. We took TONS of pictures of her which need to be cropped. It was fun to see the queen – something not even a lot of Brits can say they’ve experienced.
I took Addie back for a nap and Mom, Dad and David had lunch. Then Mom shopped around while Dad and David went to the Whiskey Experience Tour. When Addie got up she and I got some lunch and then headed up the hill to the Castle! Yeah! I was excited to visit the Castle. I went on a free walking tour for 30 minutes while Mom and Dad looked around and David entertained Adelaide. We got to see the changing of the guards. The head guard inspected their clothing and even how tight their belts were fastened! Then D, A and I went through the prison where revolutionary American sailors were imprisoned. You could see their carvings into the doors, including an American flag! I went to see the crown jewels and found Mom and Dad there. Then we all went to see the room where Mary Queen of Scots gave birth to James VI/I. Also saw the old Hall. A lot of the castle has been changed in the last 300 years or so to accommodate the army. The little St. Margaret’s Cathedral is the oldest in Scotland, I believe – 11th Century! We also had great views of the city and of the port (Firth of Forth) and river (Leith).
We all had dinner at a pub on High Street. David said he’d take her back to go to sleep so I could go to an organ concert at St. Giles’ with Mom and Dad. It was a good concert, for the most part – a good experience. Mom and Dad and I went to the Outsiders for some wine and then David and I met up with Scotty and Rebecca once Mom and Dad got home from going out. Late night but great time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment