Tuesday, July 1
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008
Addie was up around 8 so we got up and I got a shower while David took care of her and went down to breakfast (or up – it was on the 5th floor) with Mom and Dad. I joined them and got a full Scottish breakfast with haggis! It was pretty tasty, actually. We got her down for another nap and met up with Scotty Manor (friend from College and Seminary who is here w/ wife studying for phd) while Mom was getting ready in the room next door to Addie. We met him at a coffee shop across the street; great to talk with him and catch up. He’s finishing up his first year of phd studies, I think in Church History.
We went back and I think Mom and Dad headed out for some lunch and then Greyfriar’s Church. We met them when Addie woke up. It was neat seeing where they signed the Covenant in 1560? something, and where some were imprisoned before being executed. It was strange that the older volunteers there didn’t seem to know their history or appreciate the work of the Covenanters or John Knox. The ladies were very adoring towards Adelaide! Dad and therefore Mom stayed to talk with the guy there and read the historical panels, so David and I headed out w/ A.
We walked the Royal Mile (High Street, etc.) from the castle (he wanted to check out the Whiskey Tour) all the way down the hill to Holyrood Palace and the ugly modern Parliament building. What was neat was Holyrood Park or hill – a steep cliff-like hill that people were walking up. I really wanted to go up but of course we couldn’t with Addie, plus we were waiting on a call to meet up with M&D. We did let Addie out to run and play around. We kept seeing people dressed up, ladies with hats and everything walking down the cobblestone in heels – after asking 3 people turns out it was the Queen’s Garden Party where she awards people with various honours. So the queen is in town!
After that we met Mom and Dad at St. Giles’ Cathedral. Addie was getting tired, cranky and hungry so after a quick look around (and a picture with John Knox’s statue – this was his church), David took her back to the hotel for another nap. There was a helpful tour guide that gave us good information.
Mom and I decided to head out to Gladstone’s Land (http://www.aboutbritain.com/GladstonesLand.htm) , a historical home from the 16th and 17th centuries – especially because David and Dad weren’t interested and they didn’t allow babies. It was SO INTERESTING – I love seeing how people used to live. It was funny though, because again the tour guide didn’t really know his history – I knew more than he did! Plus the perception of John Knox is that he was extreme and tyrannical almost. Maybe it’s true, it’s just not what we Presbyterians think of our ‘heroes.’ We were almost done with the house and someone said my husband was downstairs needing me – oops, I forgot my phone and left it with my checked bag downstairs at the reception desk! He was not happy and neither was she – very hungry. Mom and I quickly finished the tour and met him at a pub down by the Grassmarket and got Dad who was at the hotel. I think Mom and Dad went out that night, but can’t really remember now....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment