Monday, June 16
Monday, July 16, 2008
We had another full day today, quite exhausting but very much worth it. David was off, so we had a leisurely morning. I headed out to find and explore Tesco, a big store like Target, but just not as cool as Target of course. Oh, stopped by a second-hand store on the way that Susan Macaulay told me about. Supposedly they’re everywhere, I just didn’t know what to look for! Found Banana Republic black pants (although here pants are panties, so you have to say trousers or you’ll get some funny looks talking about your underwear that publicly!) that fit perfectly, 6 pouds. And a Zara sweater for 6 pounds as well, my size – and I’ve been wanting to get this same sweater at Zara which is 9 pounds new at the store! Also got towels for Mom and Dad for when they come to visit in just THREE DAYS!!!! Also stopped at the dry cleaners to get my expensively-cleaned sweater, and they gave me hangers for M&D’s stay – nice!
A good mile more, about 2 miles in all, to Tesco. It was big, overwhelming, and while I came prepared with backpack and bag, I still was wondering how I’d get it all back home. So shopped moderately. Did find a bathmat for 1.50 and washcloths for M&D, as well as a little knife for 50p. Sure, the prices were a bit cheaper than Sainsbury’s, but considering the effort to get out there and back, I don’t think it’s worth it. If we were going to be here long-term, I might hitch a ride with a friend and do a big once-a-month trip. But for the 6 weeks or so we have left, I think Sainsbury’s it is. At least I’ve had my Tesco experience. Then I got to carry it all home, back 2 miles – I was rather spent when I got to our door. Need a massage!
David took care of Addie, and researched Edinburgh, Scotland while she napped. Also snapped some shots of our roses that are finally blooming!
Oh, I should say how big being “green” is – Kermit would love it! No but really, the stores reward you for reusing bags, and they’ll sell big bags, like shopping bags, that are sturdier than the grocery bags. So now I have one from Sainsbury’s and Tesco. I wanted one of Tesco’s natural bags, but they must have been out. So you just take your big bags to the store and keep using them so you don’t waste those plastic grocery bags, which is becoming a problem in the landfills. Obviously people do this back in the states, but not to the extent it’s done here.
Another big thing is fair-trade. All of the brands/stores advertise if their product is fair-trade, and coffee shops do as well. Organic stuff is pretty big over here as well – especially for kids.
Ok, so back home we got things together and headed out for our excursion of the day, Grantchester. It’s a little village south of the city that you can walk to along the river in the meadows, about 3 miles from the city. We walked to Lammas Land and then let Addie out to run and play and eat our pb&j sandwiches, courtesy of David, and get directions on the path to Grantchester. 



It was a great day for a walk, and nice that they have one of the paths paved. We made it, and thankfully The Orchard was still open. 

The Orchard has been serving teas and breakfasts and luncheons for over 100 years, and nothing much has changed. You get your tea and then find a table with hammock-like chairs (that they used 100 years ago too) and sit under the apple trees in the orchard. Lots of famous people have taken tea there and Rupert Brooke wrote a poem about the place. Yet we were so glad it wasn’t overly advertised – they just do things the same old way. No t-shirts, hats, magnets, etc. It’s very tranquil, slow, peaceful there. Evidently it’s a tradition for the students to have breakfast after May Balls, either walking or punting down the river. I was very excited to take my first “cream tea” there. 
Cream tea is quite a deal here, kind of the quintessential afternoon tea set-up consisting of: tea, of course; a scone, cut in half; butter, jam, and then clotted cream. I’m not exactly sure what it is, but it seems like when I opened it there was a layer of butter on the top. It’s very thick, creamy and I’m sure loaded with calories and fat. David was so kind to read the nutrition facts for me while I was trying to enjoy my cream tea – ha! I did share with him and Addie, though. We soaked up the scene while Addie ran around. 




Then walked back taking the non-paved path along the river. 


Addie waving at and blowing kisses to the duck.
They have these cow gates that we managed to get the buggy through quite well by the end of our walk.
Back in town, there are still cows in the fens (meadows) grazing away while cars zoom past 20 feet away.
We walked through a field that leads to the colleges, and right there by the gate, 3 feet away from us kind of behind the trees and bushes, were 4 cows! I mean we were right there! Addie just stared at them and gave a “mmm”. One cow seemed perturbed that we were invading their space and probably would have done something about it had the limbs not blocked his way. 
Gave tired little Adelaide her dinner and put her to bed, but she woke with a dirty diaper while I was skyping Krista so she got to see 3 out of 4 of her Oliphant cousins. I think she’s getting more used to the whole skype deal. It’s so fun to be able to do it! And for free!!! GET SKYPE and call us – “ireland illman.”
So today I think I clocked about 12 miles! 2 miles to Tesco, 2 miles back, and probably a good 4 miles down to The Orchard with the return. Worked off that cream tea, hopefully!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment