I’m writing our day as David sits here reading “Brown Bear” to Adelaide, with a British accent. He’s getting a good laugh out of me, and her, so continues, even though annoying! We’ve both had long but good days; his more exhausting because of info overload, mine because of walking all over town, loosing Addie’s jacket, all in the rain. But we’re home, and together, so that’s nice. They’re reviewing animal sounds now…
David’s first day officially was today, so he left around 8:30 while I showered. Got ready, Addie woke up, got her breakfast and started a load of laundry. She was pretty interested in the washer, as it’s right in her line of vision; plus it’s a front-loading washer (much smaller than ours, though) so she can see the clothes spinning around and around. I still don’t know if I’m working it right; I thought I put it on a 40 min. cycle, but it took well over an hour to finish up. We puddled around the house until it was done; tried to put her down for a nap, but no go. I cleand the knobs of the stove until I have no fingernails left, thanks to the scour pad. Gave her a snack; she didn’t want to get out of the booster seat that Ranald lent us! Hung up clothes; she caught on to what I was doing at the end and started handing me stuff to hang! Before that she got a little too close to the rose (our first bloom!) and got a thorn or two in her finger, poor thing. Guess she learned not to touch rose bushes! Lots of drizzly rain; looks like a dismal day again.
So headed out about 11:30; stopped by a patisserie for a latte to clear the fog and walked on to Grafton shopping center, like a mall. Stopped by Westcott House on the way, which advertised “open to visitors” and had some pretty gardens. Let Addie walk around a little there. 
Grafton has lots of shops; checked out rain jackets and then went on to Mothercare, where I’ve been told by 2 people has rain “boots” or covers for the stroller, or “pram.” It’s like a franchise Storkland, with baby clothes, maternity/nursing clothes, some toys, eating wear, lots of strollers, cribs, carseats, bottles, etc. Found it for about L18 (L is for the British pound, I just don’t know how to get that symbol), so about $36. Higher than I wanted, but oh well. We’ll use it!
Adelaide had fun on the ride at Motherhood; at first didn't know what to think of it, but then asked for "more."
Looked around a few other stores (for shoes, my weakness! And The Pier, a lot like our Pier One), got a sandwich and another latte to share w/ A (the sandwich, not the latte!). Headed to Lion Gate, another shopping area more in the town center, via Christ’s Piece, a “green” with a playground! Need to try it out on a sunny day sometime. Found the outdoor store at Lion Yard (further shopping south on St. Andrew’s Street, like Zara, H&M, Gap, etc. just waiting to be explored!) and found a rain jacket for cheaper than at Grafton that I liked. I put it on hold to show to David, but upon going outside to see the rain, went right back in and bought it. On sale for L28 from L40. Wish our dollar was equal to their pound, and not twice as much! But again, something I’ll definitely get use out of.
So outfitted with a new rain jacket and rain cover for the stroller, we set out for Sainsbury’s for groceries. I thought about going up to the Coop instead, but Sainsbury’s has a better selection and more generic items, and is more on the way; Coop is beyond our house. Thankfully, Adelaide fell asleep (poor thing, so tired – we keep pushing her!) while I tried to maneuver a buggy with one hand, w/ jacket and backpack on (always wearing the backpack – thanks Krista for the Baby Bjorn, has come in quite handy!), carrying shopping basket loaded down w/ food. Only L16, so had to put a few items back. Need to get out more money! (bought jacket and rain boot w/ credit card) Nice cashier, same one actually. Headed for home, sleeping baby, all is well; then turned around thinking I could stop by RC and email a little while Addie slept. Well, she woke up just as I was getting settled in, and I discovered her pink jacket was missing! AH! So I backtracked, to the Sports store where I know I put it on top of her when I was purchasing my rain coat. An hour later, never did find it so just went home. David was there; put A to sleep, shared our days outside w/ beer, bread, and brie – great trio!
He had good talks today w/ Martin, about what his gifts/interests are – more people, teaching, etc. than administrative, although willing to do that if that’s what is needed. Martin is more like me – detailed, “perfectionistic”, likes making spreadsheets! Also, David cleaned up the grounds of the church (students throw butts – they call a cigarette “fag,” so the ends are “fag ends” - on ground, so he cleaned up; trying to figure out a way to connect with them, have CH reach out to them), learned more about running the church – cash register, keys, history, etc.
Got dinner going (rice, beans, tomatoes), brought in clothes to dry, sorted recycling (they have 4 containers for trash/recycling – hard to keep up with what goes where!), Addie up. She’s enjoying the new (but old – Fisher Price phone and Hickory Dickory clock that I had growing up!) toys from the Macaulays, and was very excited to see Dada. She was asking about him all day. Ate a good deal of dinner, and hung w/ Dada while I cleaned up kitchen. Played and read w/ her, then put her down for the night; now D reading and me typing, about to read and call Laura and Joanna, a lady we met on the walk yesterday. Her son and daughter-in-law are here studying, so she wanted to get us connected with them. Goodnight; my husband wants me to just chill!

Grafton has lots of shops; checked out rain jackets and then went on to Mothercare, where I’ve been told by 2 people has rain “boots” or covers for the stroller, or “pram.” It’s like a franchise Storkland, with baby clothes, maternity/nursing clothes, some toys, eating wear, lots of strollers, cribs, carseats, bottles, etc. Found it for about L18 (L is for the British pound, I just don’t know how to get that symbol), so about $36. Higher than I wanted, but oh well. We’ll use it!
Adelaide had fun on the ride at Motherhood; at first didn't know what to think of it, but then asked for "more."
Looked around a few other stores (for shoes, my weakness! And The Pier, a lot like our Pier One), got a sandwich and another latte to share w/ A (the sandwich, not the latte!). Headed to Lion Gate, another shopping area more in the town center, via Christ’s Piece, a “green” with a playground! Need to try it out on a sunny day sometime. Found the outdoor store at Lion Yard (further shopping south on St. Andrew’s Street, like Zara, H&M, Gap, etc. just waiting to be explored!) and found a rain jacket for cheaper than at Grafton that I liked. I put it on hold to show to David, but upon going outside to see the rain, went right back in and bought it. On sale for L28 from L40. Wish our dollar was equal to their pound, and not twice as much! But again, something I’ll definitely get use out of.
So outfitted with a new rain jacket and rain cover for the stroller, we set out for Sainsbury’s for groceries. I thought about going up to the Coop instead, but Sainsbury’s has a better selection and more generic items, and is more on the way; Coop is beyond our house. Thankfully, Adelaide fell asleep (poor thing, so tired – we keep pushing her!) while I tried to maneuver a buggy with one hand, w/ jacket and backpack on (always wearing the backpack – thanks Krista for the Baby Bjorn, has come in quite handy!), carrying shopping basket loaded down w/ food. Only L16, so had to put a few items back. Need to get out more money! (bought jacket and rain boot w/ credit card) Nice cashier, same one actually. Headed for home, sleeping baby, all is well; then turned around thinking I could stop by RC and email a little while Addie slept. Well, she woke up just as I was getting settled in, and I discovered her pink jacket was missing! AH! So I backtracked, to the Sports store where I know I put it on top of her when I was purchasing my rain coat. An hour later, never did find it so just went home. David was there; put A to sleep, shared our days outside w/ beer, bread, and brie – great trio!
He had good talks today w/ Martin, about what his gifts/interests are – more people, teaching, etc. than administrative, although willing to do that if that’s what is needed. Martin is more like me – detailed, “perfectionistic”, likes making spreadsheets! Also, David cleaned up the grounds of the church (students throw butts – they call a cigarette “fag,” so the ends are “fag ends” - on ground, so he cleaned up; trying to figure out a way to connect with them, have CH reach out to them), learned more about running the church – cash register, keys, history, etc.
Got dinner going (rice, beans, tomatoes), brought in clothes to dry, sorted recycling (they have 4 containers for trash/recycling – hard to keep up with what goes where!), Addie up. She’s enjoying the new (but old – Fisher Price phone and Hickory Dickory clock that I had growing up!) toys from the Macaulays, and was very excited to see Dada. She was asking about him all day. Ate a good deal of dinner, and hung w/ Dada while I cleaned up kitchen. Played and read w/ her, then put her down for the night; now D reading and me typing, about to read and call Laura and Joanna, a lady we met on the walk yesterday. Her son and daughter-in-law are here studying, so she wanted to get us connected with them. Goodnight; my husband wants me to just chill!

1 comment:
I don't know if they have one near you, but my favorite place to shop (besides H&M) was Topshop. I still have a now-ratty red sweater from there that I can't bring myself to throw out despite it's holes. :)
Post a Comment